And in a disastrous turn of events, on Saturday before our party my phone ran out of storage so I THOUGHT I transferred all of my photos onto my computer. Turns out – none of them were transferred and there was a lot of people here already and I didn’t check the folders before I deleted everything and I’m slightly (greatly?) annoyed with myself. And my phone for running out of storage. I do believe my next iPhone will be 32 GBs. *sigh*
So. I’ll work with what I have to do a quick outline of the process.
First, we glued together 7 pieces of rustic barn board (tongue and grooved) that we had left over from doing the wainscoting in the kitchen (they were already stained). Then I pretty much just drew a squiggly line down the sides to achieve the look I wanted and Mr. Coffee cut down the sides:
~Next, I power sanded the whole board – I rounded the bottom and corners off too so it looked smooth and worn. And then stained it (again, since the sanding wore off most of the stain) a mixture of MinWax golden oak and dark walnut (3/4 cup golden oak, 1/4 cup dark walnut).
~Once that was complete, I decided I needed 4 inch lettering. I printed out “But First, COFFEE” on four sheets of paper and cut the words out and taped them together in one strip once I was happy with spacing and such. (But First font: Impregnable, COFFEE font: Subway Novella).
~Then, I flipped the paper over and used a graphite pencil to shade where all of the letters were. Flipped the paper back over, so the graphite was against the wood and the letters were facing me, and taped it all into place on the board.
~I traced each letter outline with a ball point pen, so that the graphite transferred onto the wood. Once I was happy with my outline, I removed my lettering paper and then painted in the letters. This took awhile, but I’m pretty stoked with how it turned out! The worst part was making sure that where the cracks in the wood hit, the letters still stood out correctly.
~I used my handy dandy clear crafting ruler and measured out where I wanted all my hooks to be and drilled the holes. I decided to stagger them (four, three, four, three, four, three) so that my mugs wouldn’t hit. If the boards were thicker, I probably could have gotten away without staggering them but – free pretty wood is free pretty wood – amiright? I spaced them 7.5 inches apart on the four hook board (even though it shows 8 in the photo below, I promise you the hooks were only 7.5 inches apart). And then for the three hook boards, I just placed the hooks in the exact middle of the two hooks on the board above it.
~Then I used MinWax Polycyrlic Clear Coat Spray to coat the entire thing. I did about three coats and let it dry over night.
~At this point – Mr. Coffee helped again. We screwed two half boards down the back of the piece to make it completely sturdy and then he took heavy duty picture hanging wire and tripled with by spinning it with the drill. He secured these into the tops of the half boards with long screws and made sure the wire was pretty tight to the board with only a small sag to catch the hook. We had planned on doing two heavy duty D-hooks, but unfortunately the place we wanted to hang it only had one stud. But the piece seems to be incredibly secure on the wall and that’s all thanks to Mr. Coffee’s help!! Thanks handsome!
And for those wondering – yes the kitchen is finished! And of course, I lost my before photos too. So here’s one from Valentines Day (that Steel literally snuck into in the back – we had no clue he was there hahaha).
Totally love it!!! Please ignore the fact that the light is still hung up from our party on Saturday, hahaha. And now we can do the chair-rail on top of the wainscoting! Yay!
Linked up to: